Dysport® is a prescription injection proven to help reduce moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows. This neuromodulator treatment works to reverse the look of aging without affecting the appearance or movement of your face, so your expressions remain natural.
Dysport® has been shown to provide visible results. Surveys have shown that:
- 98% of users say their results look natural
- 97% would get Dysport® again
- Over 50% of users see improvement in two to three days after one 10- to 20-minute treatment
- Patients had smoothed lines between the eyebrows for up to five months
What to Expect During the Initial Consultation
Patients considering Dysport® should find a licensed healthcare provider qualified to make the injections. During the consultation, patients should disclose the following information to the healthcare professional:
- Allergies to the ingredients in Dysport®
- Any neuromuscular disease
- Asthma or emphysema
- Eyelid ptosis, or drooping
- Heart rate or rhythm problems
- Forehead muscle weakness
- Any other change in the way the face normally looks
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Deep facial scars
- Thick oily skin
- Wrinkles that can’t be smoothed manually
- Pregnancy, or plans to become pregnant or breastfeed
- Plans to have surgery, or completed surgeries
Dysport® candidates must also tell their doctor about any prescription or non-prescription medications, vitamins, or natural herbal supplements they take on a normal basis. The doctor will need to know if the patient has received any other botulinum toxin product, such as Myobloc® (rimabotulinumtoxinB), Botox® (onabotulinumtoxinA), or Xeomin® (incobotulinumtoxinA), in the last four months or any in the past.
Patients will need to refrain from using alcohol, aspirin, and ibuprofen for approximately one week before the session. During the initial consultation, the doctor and patient will discuss goals and expectations for the procedure. The doctor will then create a customized treatment plan to ensure optimal results.
What to Expect
The doctor will begin the treatment session by applying a topical anesthetic cream to relieve any discomfort the patient may feel from the injections. The doctor will then calculate the proper dosing amount of the injections. He or she will use a tiny, narrow needle to inject Dysport® into specific sites within the larger treatment area.
The Recovery Process
Once the session is complete, patients will be advised to refrain from touching or rubbing the treatment areas for a few hours. The clinic’s medical staff will also instruct patients to “exercise” the facial muscles gently to help even out the absorption of the injections.
Patients may also need to avoid lying down for three to four hours post-treatment and refrain from intense cardiovascular exercise for several days.
Results should be visible within three days of treatment, and patients may experience the benefits of Dysport® for three and a half to six months. Patients should wait at least two months before scheduling another round of Dysport® injections — whether in the same area or elsewhere.
Potential Side Effects and Risks
After Dysport® treatment, patients may experience the following side effects:
- Nose and throat irritation
- Injection site pain
- Injection site skin reaction
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Eyelid swelling
- Eyelid drooping
- Sinus inflammation